Friday, July 27, 2012

Rebellious Streaks

 
aerie color block shirt. Tahari sandals. American Eagle shorts. Asos clutch. Lucky Brand rings. Essie nail color in Blue Rhapsody
If you haven't noticed I am an American Eagle rat, although in their defense they have perfected the prep school wanderer look - stylish, simple and comfortable, with a touch of the boho. Also, since it's summer I don't wear real clothes anymore - it's aerie's feathery light and paper thin almost-sleepwear that I crave, hence the shirt.
I'm done with pastels for the season. There is just no way pastels can fly in the summer. In the spring you can afford to look like you were dropped from the Easter Bunny's magic basket, but in summer we must all bring out our rebellious clothing. Oh look! Those shorts don't reach her fingertips and are an unnatural color! 
In my moment of weakness I succumbed to the blue craze. Nearly a decade ago I told myself, never again would I actively use blue in my wardrobe or particularly enjoy using it when convenience and comfort demanded it. I have always been told that I must wear lots of blue because it complements my eyes, brings out the color. So errant well-wishers would give me enough blue clothing and accessories to choke a baby elephant. And I hated it. So unoriginal (I was a little hipster before I even knew what a hipster was)! But now I heed the cloying wisdom of my elders - blue is my color, no matter how much I crave being able to look good in red. 
Anyway - I broke down and bought metallic blue nail polish - which, by the way, is the new black of nail polish (or dark red - could never go wrong with a vampy shade) - and I loved it so much I practically shoved it in the face of coworkers and passerby and made them croon about how pretty it was and how it reflected the light. Obsessive much?
Expect more intense plumage from me this summer...except it's not a summer at all since school starts back up on the first.So not only will our bodies be baking in the heat, but so will our brains.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment